Saturday, August 20, 2011

Off the cuff recommendations

Yesterday, a friend asked me for some book recommendations to help him grow spiritually. That’s a dangerous prospect to ask me for a list of books. A person could come away from the experience thinking, “I need to be more careful what I ask for.”

So I scrolled through my books database for suggestions that I had read in the last couple of years or so. (Yes, I have a spreadsheet that lists the books that I have read in the last fifteen years.) Here is my list, improved a bit from what I recommended to him, in reverse chronological order as to when I read them.

King’s Cross by Tim Keller

A Praying Life by Paul Miller

Life with God by Richard Foster

When I Don’t Desire God by John Piper. I just noticed that this one has a study guide for use
with small groups or as a personal study. It is also available free as a pdf file from the Desiring God website which I recommend highly. I read the free version of this book while holding my laptop in my hands and walking on my treadmill.

Crazy Love by Francis Chan

This has got me seriously thinking though about what books I would genuinely recommend of the books that I have read. I hope to write about that soon.

Would you comment below and list books you’ve recently read that made a significant difference in your life?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list Gene. I'd also recommend "The Hole in our Gospel" by Richard Stearns, the President of World Vision U.S. It's similar to Radical. So when're we going to do a short term mission together? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey rick, thanks for the recommendation. I have had the Stearns book downloaded into my Kindle for some months but have not started it. Maybe your recommendation will help me get started on it.

    I would love to go on a short term mission trip with you. is there anything in particular that you have been looking at? Let's talk about that by email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot begin to understand why no one has ask for my reading lists! Do you think that The Toddler's Bible, The Cat in the Hat, and If You Give a Mouse A Cookie, are not up to the standard of your reading list? ;-)
    Kat

    ReplyDelete