Monday, November 21, 2011

Chesterton and the joy of God


Below is one of my favorite G.K. Chesterton quotes from his book Orthodoxy, expressing a fascinating thought about God's exuberance and creativity. I''m pretty sure that I first read it in a John Ortberg book or maybe Dallas Willard, but since I subsequently read Orthodoxy for myself, I get to call this one of my favorite Chesterton quotes, right?
Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, "Do it again"; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again" to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we.
Chesterton, G. K. (Gilbert Keith) (1994-05-01). Orthodoxy (p. 38). Public Domain Books. Kindle Edition.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps it would be somewhat instructive to know how this quote came to my attention this morning. In personal worship this morning, I was reflecting on this brief verse:

    Psalm 104:19 (ESV)He made the moon to mark the
    seasons; the sun knows its time for setting.

    As I was turning this over in my mind and using it to provoke worship, it reminded me of the above quote. I first ran a search on a phrase from the quote in Google. But then I remembered that I had downloaded Orthodoxy onto my Kindle. I think i paid $2 for it. I then opened my free Kindle app on my pc, ran a search on the quote and pasted into the blog.

    The free Kindle reader for your computer is a excellent tool and there are many books like Orthodoxy available for free or nearly free. Anyone else using this Reader?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite Chesterton quotes. I am continually fascinated by the innocence of man prior to the fall and this quote speaks to that for me. Whenever I teach on the first time man felt shame I get terribly emotional. I always wonder about the first time a child experiences this and a piece of my heart dies inside me. Thank the Father that Jesus has made His home there. It is a great burden to imagine without the balance of His healing and compassion to see me through.

    I used kindle for a while. But I am currently an apple itouch user. My readers of choice are iBooks and Bluefire. Both offer Chesterton in the PD.

    ReplyDelete