Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Simplify


I'm sure there are many ways you and I need to simplify our lives. Perhaps this is a way you have not considered. I like the way John the Baptist is simply described and I like the clear and simple statements he makes. 
John 1:6–7 (ESV)  There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him.
I want to be sent by God. I want to actually be a witness. I don't want to talk about it, though I guess i'm doing that here. I have always been a little put off by the word and by those who throw around the word. I just want to be one. I want to do this simple task, come as a witness, bear witness about the light, and toward the end that all might believe through the light, Jesus.

Then I want to be able to make simple statements. John neither stuttered nor muttered, He knew who he was, he knew who Jesus was, and he knew how to express such things in unmistakable ways. 
John 1:15 (ESV)  (John bore witness about him, and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.’ ”)
Later in the same chapter John said, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world." 

This is part of my prayer to simplify as i begin a new year and a new work. 

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly what I want also. I want to be able to put my thoughts (as they come from God) into words, instead of just saying, "Uh, you know, a lot of people at church could answer that question better, and I'll find out the right way to say it and get back to you."
    So I suppose that is one of my most important goals for this year... to learn the Bible the way God wants me to!

    ReplyDelete