Search This Blog

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Rooted and Grounded

You can see our effort to do post as a video message here. Try not to laugh.

I am sitting in Kat’s parent’s backyard in Knob Creek, KY. Kat grew up here in Bullitt County. Just over the hill there is Fort Knox. 20 miles to the north is Louisville. 10 miles west is the Ohio River. This house is in a rural part of the county; there is no cell signal. I was first on this piece of land 31 years ago, in the summer of 1981. I was singing with a small mission team in a church in New Albany, Indiana, just across the river. Kat and I had met a few months earlier at Cumberland College, now University of the Cumberlands. I was scheduled to drive here and pick her up and take her with me to the concert, but I couldn't find the house. That wouldn’t happen now with a cell phone and a GPS, but at the time I could neither call her nor call back to the church to say I was lost. Eventually I found my way back to the church, but was 20 minutes late for the service, which had everyone concerned. They were publicly praying for me, hoping I hadn’t been in an accident. I was distracted throughout the concert because I had no way of letting Kat know where I was and why I hadn't picked her up. After the concert, I called Kat and explained what had happened, and being young, drove back down here to see her.

It's good to remember stories. I enjoy coming here, returning to where we grew up and reconnecting with family members. However, all of this can be taken away. So while enjoying visiting with family very much, I am looking beyond what this gives to what cannot be taken away. Paul prayed:

Ephesians 3:16–19 (ESV) that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

I know some of your stories; you are learning a few of mine. But regardless of whether you have such a place as this, with family still around, and whether your stories provoke grief or joy, your ultimate security is found in being rooted and grounded in the love of Christ.

Kat and I can't wait to get back home to Richmond so we can pursue being rooted and grounded in the love of Christ together. After worshiping with my parents on Sunday in the church I grew up in, we will drive back to Richmond. I plan to be in the office Monday morning, and look forward to seeing you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment