Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Name Calling

Occasionally in addition to reading a news story on the web, I will read beyond that to the comments that people make about the story. It the story has anything to do with people of faith or moral issues, It's not terribly unusual to encounter a person who would claim to be an athiest calling anyone of faith a "religious wacko." It's an attempt to dismiss any thought coming from a person of faith as not worthy of being considered. It's intellectually lazy to just insult a person instead of engaging an idea and debating it fairly.

I'm wondering if I should start trying to engage such comments. I suspect it would just trigger a load of verbal abuse. But I'm intrigued by the challenge of attempting to reason calmly with such a person. Perhaps that's not possible online. My friend Tom Gilson deals with this often on his blog Thinking Christian so I'd sure be interested in his thoughts.

 I came accross this verse this morning and I'm wondering what would happen if I just started posting this verse as a response to the "religious wacko" comment, with the hope of engaging the person in a "conversation:"

1 Samuel 2:3 (ESV)
 Talk no more so very proudly,
let not arrogance come from your mouth;
for the Lord is a God of knowledge,
and by him actions are weighed.  

What do you think? Have you encountered such reactions online or perhaps even in person? What is the right response? 


No comments:

Post a Comment