Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Failing Time Management


1 Peter 4:7 (ESV)
The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.
I have agonized over time management as much as anyone i know. I have read so many books on this subject. I get emails from one site every day about time management but I rarely read them. In seminary, I wrote a term paper on time management that I turned in one month late. I’m not making that up. I have used numerous time management systems both paper and electronic. For all this effort I often feel ineffective. I am what I only know how to describe as greedy to get things done. There is so much I want to accomplish. 

But just a couple of days ago I read a verse I often read as a part of my prayer time and it made me think that if I could just do this, it would address many of my time management frustration. 
1 Peter 4:7 (ESV)
The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.
The end of all things is at hand. This refers to living with the expectation that Jesus could return any moment, giving a sense of urgency to doing what really matters and doing it now.

Therefore, be self-controlled and sober-minded. I don’t know what that phrase leads you to think about but it applies broadly to our lives to be constantly aware of what we are bringing in to our minds and bodies and to be certain that it is helping us to maintain an accurate view of what matters and what doesn’t

For the sake of your prayers. I’m convinced that if i could stay in a state where I am constantly sensitive to being able to converse with God through prayer about whatever is on my mind, remembering who he is, what is important, that I belong to him, and that he’s called me to follow him, that this would enable me to make good decisions in every moment. 

God’s word is certainly not just for pastors or for people who are super spiritual, whatever that means. It is instruction for all of us. I think this verse deserve a place among serious time management, really life management thinking. What about you? Can you think of other scriptures that if practically applied would help you to put “First Things First” or to be more effective at “Getting Things Done?” I love to hear about them. 

1 comment:

  1. I read this this morning that goes along very well with 1 Peter 4:7

    5. Maintain a prayerful frame of heart in the intervals of duty. What reason can be assigned why our hearts are so dull, so careless, so wandering, when we hear or pray, but that there have been long intermissions in our communion with God? If that divine unction, that spiritual fervour, and those holy impressions, which we obtain from God while engaged in the performance of one duty, were preserved to enliven and engage us in the performance of another, they would be of incalculable service to keep our hearts serious and devout. For this purpose, frequent ejaculations between stated and solemn duties are of most excellent use: they not only preserve the mind in a composed and pious frame, but they connect one stated duty, as it were, with another, and keep the attention of the soul alive to all its interests and obligations.

    Flavel, John (2012-08-20). Keeping the Heart (Kindle Locations 834-839). Fig. Kindle Edition.

    ReplyDelete