Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Spurgeon on Writing

I ran across these words of Spurgeon this morning and thought I would share them. He starts out with a decidely negative view but concludes the paragraph with a very different impression.
Writing is to me the work of a slave. It is a delight, a joy, a rapture to talk out one’s thoughts in words that flash upon the mind at the instant when they are required; but it is poor drudgery to sit still and groan for thoughts and words without succeeding in obtaining them. Well may a man’s books be called his “works,” for, if every mind were constituted as mine, it would be work indeed to produce a quarto volume. Nothing but a sense of duty has impelled me to finish this book, which has been more than two years on hand. Yet have I, at times, so enjoyed the meditation which my writing has induced, that I would not discontinue the labour were it ten times more irksome: and moreover, I have some hopes that it may yet be a pleasure to me to serve God with the pen as well as the lip.[1]




[1] C. H. Spurgeon, The Saint and His Savior: The Progress of the Soul in the Knowledge of Jesus (New York: Sheldon, Blakeman & Co., 1858), v–vi.

No comments:

Post a Comment