Friday, November 1, 2013

In 500 Words or Less

Over the next few days I intend to work through the Vision Sunday messages in writing and pass them along to you one at a time. I ask you to please read and react to these emails over the course of the next week or so. I believe God will use our writing, reading, and responding to help us as a church body. God has used writing significantly for centuries and it's never been easier for us to communicate with each other. I happen to love writing. I want to encourage you. I want to help you. God can use our writing and reading to help us to follow his purpose for us.

We believe God is calling us to "make disciples that make disciples." But what does that mean practically? The phrase "make disciples" is something heard at church but nowhere else. Some may know what it means but not know how to practically do it. Others perhaps have little idea what it means. To come at the idea from a different angle, last week I wrote about five people who strongly influenced my life as I was growing up. If you haven't yet read that, please read that here. That writing is critical to the vision message because it fleshes out how "making disciples" can begin.

Starting Monday I want to send you my writing one piece at a time and have you read and react to these initiatives we talked about on Vision Sunday:

Mentoring and the the 5:1 Ratio
How Jesus Discipled
Connecting Know How with Need to Know
AWANA
Good News Club
Chesterfield Lifehacker
Connecting our Vision, Values, and Plans

My goal is to write messages of no more than 500 words. That's about one page and won't take you more than 3-5 minutes to read. Please read, pray, and respond as we keeping seeking God together.

Sunday I'm beginning a four-week series called Guarding Freedom from Galatians 5-6. Galatians 5:1 says, "For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." This may be the key verse in all of Galatians. Grasping what these verses will transform us. Sunday we will wrestle with this: What can properly move us to want to obey God? Most know right from wrong. Many have good intentions. But the power to carry them out is elusive. It's also possible to do the right thing for the wrong reasons with tragic results. Sunday's message is called, How Freedom Leads to Obedience. You can see the text, outline and discussion questions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment