Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Humility vs. Self-Righteousness

Several weeks ago I started using as part of of my prayer time each morning one of the resolutions that Jonathan Edwards wrote, when he was 18 and 19 years old. Here is the one that I read this morning. It's a terrific picture of what humility looks like as opposed to a self righteousness.
Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.
This fits well with Romans 3:23-25 which I also spent some time with this morning as well as a tremendous video clip regarding homosexuality by Tim Keller that I came across yesterday afternoon.

You can read the backstory on Edwards' resolutions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment