Search This Blog

Friday, June 6, 2014

Uncommon Wisdom about Work message outline

Uncommon Wisdom about Work
Selected passages

How can we develop self-motivation so that we want to bless others and make a positive difference in the world to the glory of God?

We learn diligence when we grasp that God designed work as an act of grace for our good.

1. Develop self-motivation

Proverbs 6:6–11 (NLT)
    6 Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones. 
      Learn from their ways and become wise! 
    7 Though they have no prince 
      or governor or ruler to make them work, 
    8 they labor hard all summer, 
      gathering food for the winter. 
    9 But you, lazybones, how long will you sleep? 
      When will you wake up? 
    10 A little extra sleep, a little more slumber, 
      a little folding of the hands to rest— 
    11 then poverty will pounce on you like a bandit; 
      scarcity will attack you like an armed robber.


2. Learn to value your work by seeing it as part of God’s creation plan

Proverbs 10:26 (NLT)
    26 Lazy people irritate their employers,
      like vinegar to the teeth or smoke in the eyes.

Proverbs 13:11 (NLT)
    11 Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears;
      wealth from hard work grows over time.

Proverbs 12:24 (NLT)
    24 Work hard and become a leader;
      be lazy and become a slave.
  
   Proverbs 12:27 (NLT)
    27 Lazy people don’t even cook the game they catch,
      but the diligent make use of everything they find.


3. Make God’s grace the engine of your work

Ephesians 2:8–10 (ESV) 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. 

2 comments:

  1. I am very blessed. I enjoy whatever my hands find to do. Even picking up trash beside the road is enjoyable to me. God truly has blessed me in that whatever I "lift my hands to do" I find contentment, enjoyment and satisfaction. I need to think about this some more as to why God has been so gracious in that I find contentment in whatever my hands find to do. I look forward to hearing your message. One thing I have learned is to look for opportunities as I go about my day to share what God has put in my heart. My prayer is that God is giving the opportunities to share His story

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would our world be like if we saw God working everywhere in the world and wherever He has put us we can join in? The hard part is seeing, but WOW what a tremendous life we would lead if whatever our hands find to do we see and join God's purposes and work.

    ReplyDelete