Search This Blog

Saturday, May 9, 2015

No Perfect People Allowed

This post is primarily for BP folks but there are links to some interesting things I've read this week at the end.

There are many things on my mind this morning. I want to tell you briefly about a few of them.
Tomorrow we begin a new series called No Perfect People Allowed. Some think church is for good people, for folks who’ve got their lives together. Worse, is the suspicion that we wouldn’t want people whose lives are a mess. This is ironic because the only way to become a part of God’s family is to admit your failures. Over the next three weeks we will look at the life of Samson. It’s a spectacular place both to see the stubborn and even scandalous grace of God, while also seeing that the kind of people God uses are deeply and sometimes embarrassingly flawed. We will gain a strong sense that God is not looking for people who think they’ve got their act together. Or as you may have heard me say, “the church is not a museum for displaying perfectly finished works of art. Rather, its a hospital for sick people; folks that know they need help.” That means there is hope for people like you and me.
Please mark Thursday evening June 4th on your calendar. On that night we will explore the results of the Transformational Church survey many of us took a few weeks back. I've seen the results and I am encouraged by the fact that we already had plans in place before seeing the results to address areas the survey suggests we take a look at. You'll hear more about that in the weeks to come.
Beginning May 31st we begin a series we are tentatively calling Do the Work. It's a study of the NT book James. Early in that book there is a challenge to not just be a hearer of the word but a doer. Soon following that are challenges to care for the practical needs of people. We are structuring opportunities to help us do exactly what the text says. No one will be able to participate in each project. But we challenge everyone to participate in at least one of those local projects. You will hear more about that soon as well.
Each week I come across posts I would like to share with you. Here are a few I saw this week:
Ten Things You Should Never Say to a Guest in a Worship Service - None of you would say such things to people, but I'm guessing you have stories of things you have experienced. I'd love to hear about them.
On Mother’s Day, Remember the Infertile - This is an excellent post highlighting a concern that's always on my mind on Mother's Day.

Read the Bible to Your Anxiety - I've found myself sharing this with a number of people this week. It is definitely worth a few minutes of your time.

The Briefing - This is not a specific post but rather a podcast that I listen to each weekday, usually while getting ready in the morning. It is a daily analysis of news and events from a Christian worldview by Al Mohler the president of Southern Seminary in Louisville KY. That probably doesn't grab your attention much, but I like it because it is intelligent and pointed without being alarmist. You can listen from your computer or podcast it to your phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment