2 Corinthians 9
How can we learn to trust God to follow where the Holy Spirit is leading?
1. Arrange giving in advance
2 Corinthians 9:1–5 (ESV) Now it is superfluous for me to write to you about the ministry
2. Seek God’s blessing to bless others
2 Corinthians 9:6–11 (ESV) The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written,
“He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor;
He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.
3. Preach the good news to yourself to provoke generosity leading to worship
2 Corinthians 9:12–15 (ESV) For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God. By their approval of this service, they will glorify God because of your submission that comes from your confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others, while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you. Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!
Praying the Gospel
Adapted from the book, Gospel, by J.D.
1. God, you are our Creator, Owner, Sustainer, Sovereign, and Judge. Acts 17
2. We have sinned against you and so are sinners. Rom. 3:23
3. Because of this we deserve eternal separation from you. Rom 6:23
4. Jesus you died on the cross to pay for our sin. Romans 5:8
5. You rose from the dead, overcoming death to give us eternal life. 1 Cor. 15:1-4
6. This message is not always controlling our thoughts, attitudes, values and actions. Revelation 3:3
7. We ask for your grace to repent and make this good news the motivating factor of our lives. Rev. 3:3.