Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2016

The Importance of Why

Today's reading:
Proverbs 22:17–19, Psalm 119:49–72, Isaiah 56, Matthew 4

I read the above scripture this morning and made a few notes, but before that while running I listened to a panel conversation amongst a few well known pastors at the recent SBC meeting in St. Louis. I was challenged by it, but also discouraged because I don’t do well what they are talking about and don’t see a clear path to get there. But then as I was praying this morning I reflected on these verses:

Mark 11:1–3 (ESV)
11 Now when they drew near to Jerusalem, to Bethphage and Bethany, at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two of his disciples and said to them, “Go into the village in front of you, and immediately as you enter it you will find a colt tied, on which no one has ever sat. Untie it and bring it. If anyone says to you, ‘Why are you doing this?’ say, ‘The Lord has need of it and will send it back here immediately.’ ”
 Which led me to pray this: (slightly edited for clarity)
Jesus, you are all knowing. You saw all this coming. Even now, even then at this moment, you were preparing to die for us. Jesus, I worship you, because you deliberately and intricately kept walking toward the cross even as you forsaw these details. O Jesus, to talk about the what and how of evangelism, as I felt like I was hearing this morning, while bypassing the why simply does not work on my heart. Jesus, it grieves me deeply. But the moment I actually begin to see you steadily moving toward the cross as I do here in this text, even in the simple planning of setting up for this final Passover, where you will institute the Lord’s supper, then Jesus I am moved in my heart to want to talk to people about you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment